Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Review "If God is Good"

As the New Year approaches one of my many resolutions for myself is to better myself spiritually. One way I know how to do this is with God's word.

Christians and Non-Christians have long asked the question of why people must endure suffering if God is such a wonderful and loving God. Many people throughout history have attempted to answer this hard question. In this book the author, Randy Alcorn, gives it his best attempt.
Throughout the book Alcorn depicts stories from people who have endured horrible suffering and the grace that they have found because of it. Some of the stories are from the author's own life while others come from family or friends or strangers. But each story resonates with grace!
This book shows God’s goodness all through the pages. The grace that He allows us because of the suffering is the small prize we get here on this earth. Really all we do here is storing up for us the treasures in Heaven that we won’t know till we are one day standing with Christ and rejoicing that all our suffering would be worth it.                                       
I chose this book not because I myself have experienced extreme suffering recently, but because as the author warns, "We shouldn't wait until suffering comes to start learning about how to face it any more than we should wait to fall into the water to start learning how to scuba dive."

 I received a copy of this book from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review; the opinions expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews?ie=UTF8&action=preview


No comments:

Post a Comment